Friday, June 26, 2009

Your Love Is Better Than All Things...Even Mouse Trap

I'm a terrible parent. I am lazy. I have a short temper. I expect too much. I deal with my shortcomings quite frequently.
Today, I was never more proud of my son. Given my proclaimed parenting skills, I can take no credit.
A family at our church is in the process of fund raising in order to bring their adopted children home to America. They have been lead to adopt special needs children from the Ukraine. Through their journey, we've learned more about the devastating reality of these children in other countries. Essentially, children with disabilities and special needs flood the orphanages. And if they are not adopted by about the age of 4, they are institutionalized. From there, rarely do the children live past 10, and a majority die with in the first year.
So this family has been raising money to rescue some of these kids. They have chosen to adopt a little boy and a little girl.
My heart swells with joy for them. They are taking on a huge challenge all in the name of "real religion." I'm overwhelmed with how incredible their hearts are.

James 1:27 (New International Version)

27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world


In order to raise the money one of the things they are doing is selling enchiladas at our church on Sunday. I had volunteered to bring ingredients. I had just checked the email and saw what was needed. I walked to the kitchen and began lunch with Judah. I started talking to him about why they were selling food. I explained in kid terms the best I could about what takes place with these kids. When I got to the part about what happens in the institutions, i got stuck. His face had already dropped and he had stopped eating. The way I explained what happens is by saying that, "kids have to be hugged and loved, and if they don't get that, they can die. These kids don't get hugged and there's no one to read to them or love them."
I had feared I went too far. I had begun crying at this point, just because I was facing the harsh reality for the first time as well.
We talked more and thought about what we could do to help bring these kids home. He first wanted to have a lemonade stand to raise money. I thought that was a good idea, but maybe not the best. I just encouraged him to remember that, "God will do crazy things when we give away."

We watched the video that the Watson's had put together. I got all extra emotional this time. He kept asking and asking questions that I didn't have answers for. Eventually he said, "I think I should give all my money away."
For fear I had manipulated him, I asked, "Are you sure?"
He said, "Yeah, I want to see what God's going to do."

Note that he's been saving all his money for months to have enough to buy the board game "Mouse Trap." Just last night we counted and he has enough.

I was overwhelmed, tears pouring, looking crazy, I'm sure. Then he says, "Living is way more important that mouse trap."

Ah, Judah, my baby boy. What did I ever do to deserve you? I've never been so proud in all my life. Being able to be titled as your mom is of the highest honor. May my heart grow to be as pure as yours. Pure enough to give everything away all in the name of love.

Karis and Jake Watson are incredible as well. They are doing the Lord's will and bringing a new world to two small, precious, beautiful, deserving children. Consider helping them meet their goals.

2 comments:

  1. wow, amazing post...i love the things kids can teach us, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet is he?! We love you guys!!! Thanks for all your help, support, and prayers!

    ReplyDelete