Friday, September 15, 2006

Running To The Fair

For once there's actually been things going on around here and I haven't kept up with it all. So, to you my faithful readers (HA!!), I bring the longest post in history!

Our HOT Date!


Last Saturday Kenton and I traveled out to Clearwater for some nice alone time. We realized as we dropped off Judah, that our choice to go to Clearwater at 7am on a Saturday morning might be as close to a date as we could get. We romantically ran a chilly 5K race. And when I say hot date, I mean it. It was chilly when it started, but we were nice and sweaty when we were done. (Get your minds out of the gutter!!!)
We had fun. I finished at 26:05 and qualified for third in my age group. Kenton finished at 27:10 and qualified for second in his category. This little race didn't have awards for second and third place so we just got to leave with our accomplishments.

However, Kenton felt like he received an award when we were at Wal-Mart later that day. He was so pleased to find a nearly full QT drink.... I think he may just be the luckiest man on the face of the earth.


Sunday afternoon we ventured out to watch the airshow. The Marshall's and The Berryman's accompanied us. We saw a few planes and then sat in the heat while nothing else happened. I guess we came at the end of one show and there was a long pause before the next one started. So, we gave up and went home. Don't worry, there was one good show we got to see.

Yes, that's my special little boy! Discovering that, "no, dirt doesn't taste good." Poor Judah, he's all alone in a sea of little girls. They all giggled and ewwed at his adventure. Later, Paige told her mommy that she doesn't want to marry Judah, "he eats dirt." Ah, sweet Paige! I can't blame her for feeling that way, but it's going to be a tough time trying to find another potential candidate who hasn't eaten dirt.




Going To The Fair was the theme of this month's Art Start. Judah and I enjoyed a great afternoon at the art museum. We checked out the sculptures and the shiny floors while we waited. Mrs. Courtney showed us a carousel horse, one of the museum's display pieces. She read us a book about going the fair and then we finished with creating carousel horses of our own.

With this fun lesson, Judah was perfectly geared for the Fair. He was pumped to see all the food vendors we read about, to see the animals, and ride the carousel!

Our WILD Ride, BABY!

Every time I hear that ending clip to the fair ads, I miss Travis a little more! (Did you all know that he is the voice behind those ads? Travis, can we say that you are the voice of the Kansas State Fair?..... Wow, you left KS to go to CO and give up that honor??)

I have wanted to go to the fair for many years. For whatever reason, it never worked out. But not this year. My husband made sure his wife's desire to see blue ribbon birds, larger than life butter sculptures, and all the food I could never have, was met. The Hansen's have done the 2006 Fair! We had lots of fun and I can't wait until next year. (Well, sorta can't... yeah, I can wait.... my feet are tired)

We Started our trek with pig races.

Next, we made a windsock.

Met a very tall cowboy.

We opted to just pose outside The Ye Old Mill. Maybe Judah would have been too scared of this Kansas legend.... there's no maybes about it when it comes to his chicken of a mommy though!

We saw every animal they had to offer! (and, Yes, the chickens did have large talons.)




Judah was trying to figure out what was under the mama donkey that the baby wanted so bad.... I loved it! I especially loved the little piglets going to town! They were only six days old!














Then we were off the the exhibits! Sand and Butter sculptures.... only in Kansas!
The Blue Ribbon went to the 680 lbs pumpkin!

Finally, we were on to the rides!


We opted for the healthier foods, (Judah and Kenton shared chicken noodles, I had a fresh fruit bowl), Kenton just had to try corn nuggets (deep fried creamed corn... oh, my!... tid bits of heaven!), we treated ourselves to Kansas fresh ice cream from the KSU Dairy Bar, and walked the bright mid-way one last time.
We made the long walk back to lot number six, buckled up, noticed Judah's eyes were shut by the first stop light, and headed for home.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh, the fair. I miss the butter sculpture, so thanks for sharing. I don't miss the smell though. I love the picture of Judah turned upside down, trying to figure out what was going on with the donkey. Last thought...please tell me that Kenton didn't actually drink that thing. Even he has limits, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want me to tell you what you want to hear, I can do that. :)While he may not have limits, thankfully the good Lord gave him me to set some for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a WILD RIDE BABY!

    And for your info, I recorded this year's ads while living in COLORADO! HA!

    I can't believe you didn't have a funnel cake! That golden brown, deep fat fried goodness all covered in sugar - that's pretty much all the fair is good for as I recall. That, and the butter sculptures, of course.

    ReplyDelete